Countdown

Friday, November 2, 2012

Every mother's nightmare...


On Friday after the anatomy ultrasound I got home and took a nap. I woke up with a missed call from the doctor's office and I thought it was because I had forgotten to leave a urine sample. I waited impatiently until Monday to make the call.

I finally spoke to the nurse who told me that they didnt get good pictures of the brain and wanted me to go to the hospital for a better look. I was so surprised by this news because i knew the technician took lots of pictures of the brain. I posted this on Babycenter and one of the ladies that responded advised me to call and ask for more details. I called the doctor's office back and they told me they think there was a Choroid Plexus cyst and wanted me to go to the hospital for the level II ultrasound on Friday. I asked what that meant and the nurse told me it could  be nothing or it could be an indicator of a more serious problem like Trisonomy 13 or 18.

I immediately got online and looked up Trisonomy 13 and 18. The panic took over when I found out that most babies with those disorders don't live past 1 and have a zero chance of having a normal life. I couldn't stop crying. I ended up leaving work early so i could go and get my blood drown for the quad screen to check the probabilty of chromosomal abnormalities. That evening was hard for both me and IJ, he was very upset about everything and couldnt understand why the doctor didnt speak to us personally.

Tuesday was the same, more tears and panic. I am not even sure how I made it through the day. I prayed about it, i asked my friends to pray. On Wednesday I began to feel like I was burying our son before I received the test results. I also reached out to another lady called Clarissa who is going through the same thing I was. She told me that her faith in God's plan made her less anxious and helped her come to please with what was going on. On Thursday I was feeling a lot better, everytime I tried to forget about little Ira, his flutters become so intense. I was beginning to feel so detached from the pregnancy but God would not let me give up on the little life inside of me. I prayed for strength and this was his answer.

I expected the quad screen results on Thursday but the doctor's office never called. I finally called them and got the results. All the protein levels were baseline negative so there was very little risk of chromosomal abnormalities. That really did put my mind at ease. Now for the ultrasound....

We finally got to Friday, and had the ultrasound today. The baby measured at about 9oz, a small baby like his brother I suppose. The CPC was still present but all other physiological functions looked great. The technician at the hospital spent a lot of time looking at the 4 chambers of his heart, kidney function and all ventricles of the brain. She even counted his bones, showed us the 3 bones in his pinky finger. It was really amazing. We met with the genetic counselor who told us that the CPC is a fairly common occurence and based on the combination of bloodwork and the ultrasound, they do not expect fetal abnormalities but want me to go back in 4 weeks to see how the cyst is progressing.

I am so grateful to God that everything turned out the way it did. I tried to tackle this burden on my own and I failed miserably. Realizing that God is the architect of our lives, he put this little man in our lives and he had a reason that may be well beyond my human understanding. We continue to pray for the health of our little man. He is loved dearly already...

Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment